We are excited to announce a new Employee Resource Group (ERG) for Veterans and their families in the Walker Edison community – WE Veterans!
The mission of WE Veterans is to engage, support, and empower both veterans and friends and family of veterans in the Walker Edison community. This group will support its members through career development, community connection, recruitment, and leadership. WE Veterans will encourage Walker Edison to be an employer of choice for veterans, transitioning service members, and military spouses
5 goals of WE Veterans:
- Develop and maintain a new hire and transitioning service member mentor program, as well as assist with recruiting efforts
- Advocate for awareness trainings including education sessions about veteran-specific issues that impact our community, both in and out of the workplace (PTSD awareness, suicide awareness, etc).
- Lead-out recognition events for important dates, for example, Veterans and Memorial Day. (Hero recognition event-WE employees can share stories of veterans in their life-family and their stories of service)
- Charitable Contribution: Volunteer with external veteran support organizations (USO, Wounded Warrior, etc.)
- Provide professional resources (networking, tools, and trainings that support professionalism for the veteran community internally and externally of WE) *example, volunteer at active duty/veteran resume workshops, interviewing prep, etc
We are thrilled to have Garret Gileno, an Inventory Analyst here at Walker Edison as WE Veteran’s employee lead. The executive sponsor for the group is Bret Schultz, our Director of Distribution.
Garret Gileno said of this announcement, “The launch of the veterans ERG is a project that I am extremely excited about! As the group develops and takes shape, I look forward to building and connecting with fellow veterans at Walker Edison. It is my hope that the Veterans ERG can play an active role in supporting the success of Veterans at Walker Edison.”